Digital Archives Initiative
ICH - Avalon
add to favorites : reference url back to results : previous : next
 
Zoom in Zoom out Pan left Pan right Pan up Pan down Maximum resolution Fit in window Fit to width Rotate left Rotate right Hide/show thumbnail
Dam on John Englishs Gully
Dam on John Englishs Gully
Descriptive TitleDam on John Englishs Gully
CategoryKnowledge of the land/water and environment
TopicArchitecture, building and construction
KeywordsDams
DescriptionJohn Englishs Gully was dammed in 1949 to provide the first municipal water supply. Marina Gambin writes her fathers response to her inquiry on Englishs identity, A fellow by the name of John English used to go out there in the summertime and strip off and jump into it to wash himself. This would have been long before 1949.
Date2010-03-25
CollectorBranch Cultural Historical Association
InformantGambin, Marina
Biographical DataMarina (Power) Gambin grew up in Branch in the 1950s and early 1960s. She often writes about life growing up in Branch.
Location Depicted/DiscussedCanada--Newfoundland and Labrador--Avalon Peninsula--Branch
NotesGullies are also favoured places for wildlife such as foxes, mink and weasels. Other gullies in and around Branch include Muskrat Gully, Otter Gully, Mount Gully, Tom Dunns Gully and Slatey Gully a favourite place for children to find writing slates in the early days when school paper was in short supply.
FormatImage/jpeg
TypeStill Image
Resource TypePhotograph
LanguageEng
SourceBranch Cultural Historical Association
CollectionIntangible Cultural Heritage Inventory - Avalon
RightsCC BY-NC 2.0 CA
add to favorites : reference url back to results : previous : next