Digital Archives Initiative
Centre for Newfoundland Studies - The Newfoundland Quarterly
menu off  add document to favorites : add page to favorites : reference url back to results : previous : next
 
 Search this object:
  
 0 hit(s) :: previous hit : next hit
  View:    
  previous page : next page
Document Description
TitleThe Newfoundland Quarterly, volume 27, no. 3 (December 1927)
EditorEvans, John J., 1861-1944
PublisherJohn J. Evans, Sr.
Place of PublicationSt. John's, NL
Date1927
DescriptionGovernment House in winter : "silver thaw" [illustration] -- Christmas Eve / Robert Gear MacDonald -- Over to Aunt Martha's / P. Florence Miller -- Island of my dreams / Bro. Justin -- Shrine of glorious flower of Carmel : St. Teresa at Corpus Christi Church, Waterford Bridge -- Homeward bound / Brother Justin -- Snowflakes / Eugenie du Maurier Meredith -- Home / Ena Constance Barrett -- Waterford Bridge Road, showing Corpus Christi Church and St. Bride's College, "Littledale" [illustration] -- Recompense / Eugenie du Maurier Meredith -- Response / Eugenie du Maurier Meredith -- Mount Cashel -- A picture of the past : a romance of Newfoundland in the days of French occupation / Addison Bown -- Cabot Tower : signal station at St. John's [illustration] -- North Battery : Signal Hill, St. John's, in 1846 [illustration] -- Placentia [illustration] -- The Queen's Battery : The Narrows, St. John's [illustration] -- Field-Marshal Earl Haig [illustration] -- H.M.S. "Repulse" and "Adelaide" leaving Topsail Bay, Newfoundland [illustration] -- Off The Narrows : under Fort Amherst [illustration] -- St. John's fire-fighting apparatus initiated by Inspector General Hutchings : No. 1 Motor Fire Truck, Central Station ; Pumper and aerial ladder truck at Central Station ; No. 1 Motor Fire Truck, Western Station [illustrations] -- Farms of the Empire : fertilizers as a vital factor / A. E. Tomlinson -- Christ and Christmas / Henry Polk Lowenstein -- Scientists predict tides will lengthen span of day to month : science hopes to get power out of ocean ; energy stored in restless waters will prove great boon when process for extracting is perfected / Dr. Arthur Selwyn-Brown -- The R. C. Palace at St. John's [illustration] -- "Beaconsfield" : the country home of His Grace Archbishop Roche [illustration] -- "Winterholm" : residence of Sir M. G. and Lady Winter, Rennie's Mill Road [illustration] -- Water Street, St. John's [illustration] -- We visit the "auld toon" : an impression of Ayr, N.B. / Capt. Leo Murphy -- Fishing schooners in St. John's Harbor : fog lifting from The Narrows [illustration] -- The British Empire : a hundred and fifty years ago and today / Rev. Alexander Sharpe -- Church of England Cathedral [illustration] -- Roman Catholic Cathedral [illustration] -- Gower Street Methodist Church [illustration] -- The passing of two well-known citizens : the late William Noel / H. F. Shortis ; The late Daniel F. Kent -- The new hall of the Holy Name Society -- The St. John's Municipal Council Building, Duckworth Street [illustration].
SubjectNewfoundland and Labrador--Periodicals
Physical Description48 p. : ill.
NoteIndexed in: Newfoundland Periodical Article Bibliography.
LocationCanada--Newfoundland and Labrador
Time Period20th Century
Journal DetailsThe Newfoundland Quarterly (1901-present) began publication when the province was still an independent country, founder John J. Evans describing it as "a literary magazine of interest to Newfoundlanders at home and abroad." Geared to a general audience, it is the island's oldest magazine and the second oldest magazine published in Canada. It provides an invaluable forum for the publication of work by Newfoundland writers, artists and photographers. The magazine features articles on Newfoundland history and culture, interviews and biographies, literature and literary criticism including book reviews. Advertisements are included in the issues before 1983. Since 1966 the Newfoundland Quarterly has also included Aspects, a publication of the Newfoundland Historical Society.
TypeText
Resource TypePeriodical
FormatImage/jpeg; Application/pdf
Record NumberCNS-NQ0120
LanguageEng
CollectionCentre for Newfoundland Studies - The Newfoundland Quarterly
RepositoryMemorial University of Newfoundland. Libraries. Centre for Newfoundland Studies
SourcePrint text held in the Centre for Newfoundland Studies.
PDF File(9.02 MB) -- http://collections.mun.ca/PDFs/quarterly/NQ_Volume27_Number3.pdf