Digital Archives Initiative
Centre for Newfoundland Studies - The Newfoundland Quarterly
menu off  add document to favorites : add page to favorites : reference url back to results : previous : next
 
 Search this object:
  
 0 hit(s) :: previous hit : next hit
  View:    
  previous page : next page
Document Description
TitleThe Newfoundland Quarterly, volume 29, no. 1 (July 1929)
EditorEvans, John J., 1861-1944
PublisherJohn J. Evans, Sr.
Place of PublicationSt. John's, NL
Date1929
DescriptionThrough Torbay, about seven miles from St. John's [illustration] -- Salmon fishing in Newfoundland / Sir William Allardyce -- United Church College : the largest school building in the country, for boys and girls -- Hon. D. A. Ryan honoured by the Vatican -- The Galway Port Project -- The gateway to the west -- Bishop Feild College : the boys' branch of the Church of England College for Newfoundland situated in St. John's -- The college song / Rev. D. W. Blackall -- A tribute (to the American Red Cross upon the completion of its relief and rehabilitation work in Porto Rico following the hurricane of September thirteenth, nineteen hundred and twenty-eight) / Elizabeth Kneipple Van Deusen -- Down Cape St. Francis way / Robert Gear MacDonald -- Sky songs / Amy Redpath Roddick -- The passing of Hon. Sir Patrick Thomas McGrath -- Labrador Indians : their customs and beliefs ; American scientist study the habits of the rapidly disappearing Nascopies / Dr. Arthur Selwyn-Brown -- Ellen / Honora -- Newfoundland sports : O'Toole's record in Boston Marathon ; J. Maher retains championship -- Tenth anniversary of first trans-Atlantic air flight : St. John's, Newfoundland, to Ireland, 1919-1929 / William Campbell -- Mount Cashel orphanage and training school / W. J. Carew -- Life in the brilliant Orient : rickshaws and Parisian millinery in Saigon ; an island of peace off Java ; chickens on doors ; temple services and country dances / Grace Farrelly -- Torbay, about seven miles from St. John's [illustration] -- Renewal / Eugenie du Maurier Meredith -- The silent people / E. F. Duder -- The new Labrador / Ex. -- Incidents in the life of Marshal Foch -- The last words of Marshal Foch / Henry Polk Lowenstein -- A British submarine in St. John's Harbour in 1915 -- Galway City as it is and may be / R. J. Kelly -- Out fishin' -- The universal om / John Milton Smither -- The new Solicitor General -- Fully equipped fire patrol man extinguishing fire [illustration].
SubjectNewfoundland and Labrador--Periodicals
Physical Description48 p. : ill.
NoteIndexed in: Newfoundland Periodical Article Bibliography.
LocationCanada--Newfoundland and Labrador
Time Period20th Century
Journal DetailsThe Newfoundland Quarterly (1901-present) began publication when the province was still an independent country, founder John J. Evans describing it as "a literary magazine of interest to Newfoundlanders at home and abroad." Geared to a general audience, it is the island's oldest magazine and the second oldest magazine published in Canada. It provides an invaluable forum for the publication of work by Newfoundland writers, artists and photographers. The magazine features articles on Newfoundland history and culture, interviews and biographies, literature and literary criticism including book reviews. Advertisements are included in the issues before 1983. Since 1966 the Newfoundland Quarterly has also included Aspects, a publication of the Newfoundland Historical Society.
TypeText
Resource TypePeriodical
FormatImage/jpeg; Application/pdf
Record NumberCNS-NQ0057
LanguageEng
CollectionCentre for Newfoundland Studies - The Newfoundland Quarterly
RepositoryMemorial University of Newfoundland. Libraries. Centre for Newfoundland Studies
SourcePrint text held in the Centre for Newfoundland Studies.
PDF File(10.37 MB) -- http://collections.mun.ca/PDFs/quarterly/NQ_Volume29_Number1.pdf