Digital Archives Initiative
Centre for Newfoundland Studies - The Newfoundland Quarterly
menu off  add document to favorites : add page to favorites : reference url back to results : previous : next
 
 Search this object:
  
 0 hit(s) :: previous hit : next hit
  View:    
  previous page : next page
Document Description
TitleThe Newfoundland Quarterly, volume 32, no. 4 (April 1933)
EditorEvans, John J., 1861-1944
PublisherJohn J. Evans, Sr.
Place of PublicationSt. John's, NL
Date1933
DescriptionHauling seals 10 miles from ship ; Arrival near ship with tows of seals [illustrations] -- His Excellency the Governor and Lady Anderson -- Poets, priest and saints / Robert Gear MacDonald -- The dories / G. Whiteley, Jr. -- The new members of our Legislative Council [biographies with portraits, including : Sir John R. Bennett, Walter S. Monroe, John S. Currie, William J. Halley, George Whiteley Jr.] -- Japanese poetry : an anthology of Haiku, ancient and modern, by Asataro Miyamori / W. W. Blackall -- The Royal Commission to enquire into the future of Newfoundland and its financial situation [biographies with portraits, including : Lord Amulree, C. A. Magrath, Sir William Stavert] -- Hon. C. F. Alderdice, Prime Minister of Newfoundland [illustration] -- Labrador / D. Carroll -- Gold-bearing quartz deposit in the Newfoundland Labrador [illustration] -- Kaniapiskau, Larch and Kohsoak Rivers can trail running water from here to the Gulf of St. Lawrence, the Labrador coast, the Ungava Bay, or to Hudson Bay [illustration] -- Seven Islands, Quebec, on the north shore of the Gulf of St. Lawrence : one of the "jumping off" places for the Labrador and Ungava country [illustration] -- Herd of Holstein cows at "Grove Farm, " Quidi Vidi Lake [illustration] -- The dandelion / by the late D. W. Prowse, LL.D., in The Quarterly, March, 1904 -- The late Archbishop Howley's "Newfoundland name-lore" : republished from "The Newfoundland Quarterly, " commencing October, 1901, articles IV-V / [Archbishop Howley] -- Steamer leaving St. John's Harbor [illustration] -- Gower Street, St. John's, looking west [illustration] -- Bell Island and Kelly's Island, Conception Bay [illustration] -- Merchants' Society and Board of Trade, 1809-1909 / R. Gushue -- Merchants' Society Anniversary / Miss E. Morris -- Helen Keller's "golden chamber" / John Milton Smither -- Wonder of Hong-Kong : "sheer madness to give it up" ; unappreciated island now trade centre / Rev. Alexander Sharpe -- Cathedral Hill : showing C.E. Cathedral, Masonic Temple, St. Patrick's Hall and R.C. Cathedral [illustration] -- A square-rigger which sailed through "The Narrows" and up the harbor of St. John's [illustration] -- Time, the iconoclast / Bertille Tobin -- Children of the sea : drama in one act / Dr. Arthur Selwyn-Brown -- Trinity : as seen from the harbor [illustration] -- S.S. "Imogene, " Bowring Brothers, Ltd. [illustration] -- The seal fishery, 1933 -- Horse Islands : the story of the loss of the S.S. "Viking, " with twenty-seven lives / Mrs. Lydia Chancey -- A lull during a ten-mile tramp with a tow of seals [illustration].
SubjectNewfoundland and Labrador--Periodicals
Physical Description44 p. : ill.
NoteIndexed in: Newfoundland Periodical Article Bibliography.
LocationCanada--Newfoundland and Labrador
Time Period20th Century
Journal DetailsThe Newfoundland Quarterly (1901-present) began publication when the province was still an independent country, founder John J. Evans describing it as "a literary magazine of interest to Newfoundlanders at home and abroad." Geared to a general audience, it is the island's oldest magazine and the second oldest magazine published in Canada. It provides an invaluable forum for the publication of work by Newfoundland writers, artists and photographers. The magazine features articles on Newfoundland history and culture, interviews and biographies, literature and literary criticism including book reviews. Advertisements are included in the issues before 1983. Since 1966 the Newfoundland Quarterly has also included Aspects, a publication of the Newfoundland Historical Society.
TypeText
Resource TypePeriodical
FormatImage/jpeg; Application/pdf
Record NumberCNS-NQ0053
LanguageEng
CollectionCentre for Newfoundland Studies - The Newfoundland Quarterly
RepositoryMemorial University of Newfoundland. Libraries. Centre for Newfoundland Studies
SourcePrint text held in the Centre for Newfoundland Studies.
PDF File(9.12 MB) -- http://collections.mun.ca/PDFs/quarterly/NQ_Volume32_Number4.pdf