Digital Archives Initiative
Centre for Newfoundland Studies - The Newfoundland Quarterly
menu off  add document to favorites : add page to favorites : reference url back to results : previous : next
 Search this object:
 0 hit(s) :: previous hit : next hit
  previous page : next page
Document Description
TitleThe Newfoundland Quarterly, volume 29, no. 4 (April 1930)
EditorEvans, John J., 1861-1944
PublisherJohn J. Evans, Sr.
Place of PublicationSt. John's, NL
DescriptionFerryland : the site of Lord Baltimore's mansion built three centuries ago [illustration] -- Impressions of recent visit to Newfoundland / Lord Morris -- East end of St. John's City, showing Newfoundland Hotel [illustration] -- Fulfort's Hotel, near South-East Arm, Placentia [illustration] -- The S.S. "Newfoundland, " one of the Furness, Withy Co's. palatial steamers [illustration] -- Clarke's Beach, Conception Bay [illustration] -- On Cape Shore between Placentia and St. Bride's [illustration] -- The old Colinet Road re-built [illustration] -- Road at Warren's Pond : re-built by High Roads Commission [illustration] -- Collier's Hill [illustration] -- The Ellis Bridge over "The Gorge, " on the road to Placentia [illustration] -- Symbol of Peace / John Milton Smither -- The origins and development of the public finance of our Dominions / Robert Saunders -- "The Narrows, " St. John's Harbour [illustration] -- One day's catch at Butler's Falls, Salmonier River : 11 salmon, 4 to 7 lbs. [illustration] -- Interior of one of the modern dining cars ; Interior of one of the modern sleeping cars ; Both cars now used by the Newfoundland Railway [illustrations] -- Rocky River Bridge, near Colinet [illustration] -- Catching brook trout at Quarry River, near Seal Cove [illustration] -- The old stone church, convent, new church and presbytery at Torbay [illustration] -- Attainment / Eugenie du Maurier Meredith -- Galway and Newfoundland -- Forgetting / G. M. S. -- Sir Richard Anderson Squires [illustration] -- Important Canadian public men and officials contemplate to visit Newfoundland this summer -- The S.S. "Nova Scotia" leaving the harbor at St. John���s [illustration] -- The S.S. "Caribou" which plies between Port-aux-Basques and North Sydney [illustration] -- Tourist policy -- The western terminus of the Newfoundland Railway at Port-aux-Basques [illustration] -- Newfoundland Railway steam coach [illustration] -- S.S. "Nascopie, " Job Brothers & Co., Ltd. [illustration] -- Sealing results to date -- A young harp seal photographed at the icefields [illustration] -- Most Rev. Edward Patrick Roche, D.D., Archbishop of St. John's, Newfoundland [illustration] -- His Grace Archbishop Roche returns from Rome : cathedral decorated and joy bells rang out ; clergy, citizens' committee and people at pier -- Quidi Vidi Lake, where our annual regatta is held [illustration] -- The terminal station of the Newfoundland Railway, at St. John's [illustration] -- A locomotive of the 4-4-0 type, built by the Baldwin locomotive works in 1891 and still in active service [illustration] -- The fisheries of Newfoundland / James Murray -- The severed cables : November's earthquake reshaped the ocean's floor / J. W. Gregory -- Sir Thomas Esmonde's visit to Rome : meeting with Apostolic Nuncio ; the ceremonies in St. Peter's ; remarkable energy of the Pope / by special representative "Ennscorthy Echo" -- Galway as an air base / R. J. Kelly -- Odd place for a wedding ring -- The Newfoundland Quarterly -- Newfoundland schooners and Atlantic storms : a study in romantic adventures and a lesson / Dr. Arthur Selwyn-Brown -- A clear March night / Robert Gear MacDonald -- Let us pray / D. Carroll -- Wreckage of houses, stores and fishing gear, at Port aux Bras, after tidal wave [illustration] -- Toleration / W. T. H. Salter -- Bridge Cove, between Burin and Port aux Bras : spars to be seen of Wm. H. Isaac's vessel ; wreckage floating over another sunken vessel [illustration].
SubjectNewfoundland and Labrador--Periodicals
Physical Description52 p. : ill.
NoteIndexed in: Newfoundland Periodical Article Bibliography.
LocationCanada--Newfoundland and Labrador
Time Period20th Century
Journal DetailsThe Newfoundland Quarterly (1901-present) began publication when the province was still an independent country, founder John J. Evans describing it as "a literary magazine of interest to Newfoundlanders at home and abroad." Geared to a general audience, it is the island's oldest magazine and the second oldest magazine published in Canada. It provides an invaluable forum for the publication of work by Newfoundland writers, artists and photographers. The magazine features articles on Newfoundland history and culture, interviews and biographies, literature and literary criticism including book reviews. Advertisements are included in the issues before 1983. Since 1966 the Newfoundland Quarterly has also included Aspects, a publication of the Newfoundland Historical Society.
Resource TypePeriodical
FormatImage/jpeg; Application/pdf
Record NumberCNS-NQ0059
CollectionCentre for Newfoundland Studies - The Newfoundland Quarterly
RepositoryMemorial University of Newfoundland. Libraries. Centre for Newfoundland Studies
SourcePrint text held in the Centre for Newfoundland Studies.
PDF File(7.35 MB) --