Digital Archives Initiative
Centre for Newfoundland Studies - The Newfoundland Quarterly
menu off  add document to favorites : add page to favorites : reference url back to results : previous : next
 
 Search this object:
  
 0 hit(s) :: previous hit : next hit
  View:    
  previous page : next page
Document Description
TitleThe Newfoundland Quarterly, volume 39, no. 3 (December 1939)
EditorEvans, John J., 1861-1944
PublisherJohn J. Evans, Sr.
Place of PublicationSt. John's, NL
Date1939
Description"Presentation in the temple, " by Carpaccio [illustration] -- Dundee sealers and whalers / W. A. Munn -- Should the Allies state peace terms now? / W. J. Browne -- Hon. Sir John R. Bennett, Acting Premier and Colonial Secretary, addressing the citizens of St. John's on the resolution recording its inflexible determination to continue the war, August 4th, 1916 [illustration] -- Our Royal Naval Reserves which left for England on the transport "Calgarian, " 1915 [illustration] -- Ted Henley in North Wales -- Insane ambition / Ethel Weir -- The Newfoundland -- Christmas / Theda Kenton -- Mr. Justice Dunfield -- The American tea clippers : reminiscences of the past / C. M. Hopkins -- The auxiliary ship "Neath, " the largest sailing ship in the world : 5, 548 tons register [illustration] -- Green Head, Spaniard's Bay, Conception Bay [illustration] -- Tor's Cove, Gull Island and Green Island [illustration] -- Fifty golden years, 1889-1939 / John A. Maher -- The Exploits Valley Royal Stores, Limited, Grand Falls [illustration] -- Fading embers : an episode of Christmas time / Capt. Leo C. Murphy -- St. Clare's Mercy Hospital -- Bethlehem / Bertille Tobin -- A display of goods, manufactured by The Riverside Woolen Mills, Ltd., Makinson's, C.B. may be purchased at the Royal Stores, Ltd. St. John's [illustration] -- Life's irony / John J. Fitzhenry -- First draft Newfoundland Regiment before leaving for England, 1915 [illustration] -- First draft Newfoundland Forestry Corps, welcomed at Scotland, June 12th, 1917 [illustration] -- The ghost of Deadman's Pond / E. T. Furlong -- This is my hour / John Milton Smither -- Grand River Bridge, Codroy Valley [illustration] -- The Beamer, Flat Rock [illustration] -- Armstrong's Linoleum laid by James Baird, Ltd. -- A drive in Bowring Park, St. John's, Newfoundland [illustration] -- Front view of the new St. Clare's Mercy Hospital [illustration] -- The "Narrows" and harbour of St. John's [illustration] -- Handbook on Newfoundland -- Tilt Cove Mines, 1888-1912 [illustration] -- "Newfoundland Week" in London : The Regimental Band's visit to the metropolis, September 1917 [illustration] -- "Newfoundland Week" in London : the Regimental Band at the Third London General Hospital on Sunday afternoon, September 23rd, 1917 [illustration].
SubjectNewfoundland and Labrador--Periodicals
Physical Description44 p. : ill.
NoteIndexed in: Newfoundland Periodical Article Bibliography.
LocationCanada--Newfoundland and Labrador
Time Period20th Century
Journal DetailsThe Newfoundland Quarterly (1901-present) began publication when the province was still an independent country, founder John J. Evans describing it as "a literary magazine of interest to Newfoundlanders at home and abroad." Geared to a general audience, it is the island's oldest magazine and the second oldest magazine published in Canada. It provides an invaluable forum for the publication of work by Newfoundland writers, artists and photographers. The magazine features articles on Newfoundland history and culture, interviews and biographies, literature and literary criticism including book reviews. Advertisements are included in the issues before 1983. Since 1966 the Newfoundland Quarterly has also included Aspects, a publication of the Newfoundland Historical Society.
TypeText
Resource TypePeriodical
FormatImage/jpeg; Application/pdf
Record NumberCNS-NQ0070
LanguageEng
CollectionCentre for Newfoundland Studies - The Newfoundland Quarterly
RepositoryMemorial University of Newfoundland. Libraries. Centre for Newfoundland Studies
SourcePrint text held in the Centre for Newfoundland Studies.
PDF File(7.29 MB) -- http://collections.mun.ca/PDFs/quarterly/NQ_Volume39_Number3.pdf