Digital Archives Initiative
Centre for Newfoundland Studies - The Newfoundland Quarterly
menu off  add document to favorites : add page to favorites : reference url back to results : previous : next
 Search this object:
 0 hit(s) :: previous hit : next hit
  previous page : next page
Document Description
TitleThe Newfoundland Quarterly, volume 39, no. 2 (October 1939)
EditorEvans, John J., 1861-1944
PublisherJohn J. Evans, Sr.
Place of PublicationSt. John's, NL
DescriptionBridge near swimming pool, Bowring Park [illustration] -- Harbour Grace history, chapter twenty-three : concluded / W. A. Munn -- Stamps issued to commemorate the John Guy celebration, 1910 [illustration] -- Told by the fishermen : an island with a mysterious history / Capt. Leo C. Murphy -- Yachting on Quidi Vidi Lake in 1884 [illustration] -- Avalon yachting club "snipes" at Long Pond, Manuels, Conception Bay [illustration] -- Our little rivers, chapter VII : Trepassey again / W. J. Browne -- The Work Committee of the Women's Patriotic Association, 1916, Drawing Room, Government House [illustration] -- Women's Patriotic Association : outports will be included in organization -- Autumn / Mrs. Clyde Robe Meredith -- Labour Day parade -- The Grenfell hospital, and industrial building, at Anthony, NFLD. [illustration] -- Father A. M. Gibbs' Memorial Shrine solemnly dedicated at Saint Joseph's : eloquent discourse delivered by Reverend F. J. D. Ryan, P.P., on twofold meaning of wayside shrine of Our Lady ; Monsignor McGrath officiates at Benediction / Stan Clancy -- Red Cross workers : post card sold by the W. P. A. in 1916 [illustration] -- Neville Chamberlain : September, 1939 / Robert Gear MacDonald -- Brigus / W. J. Browne -- The late Archbishop Howley's "Newfoundland name-lore, " article XXXVIII : republished from "The Newfoundland Quarterly, " commencing October, 1901 -- From eternal flame / Eris Goll -- Hospitality / Rev. Walter Bugden -- Old Colinet Road [illustration] -- Cape Shore, between Placentia and St. Bride's [illustration] -- H.M.S. Berwick takes Newfoundland recruits for Royal Navy -- Junior Jubilee Scholarship, 1939 -- Inspection of Third Battalion, A and B. Co., First Newfoundland Regiment, before leaving for England, 1916 [illustration] -- Newfoundland soldiers, foresters, Naval Reserve men and citizens in front of Parliament Building on the third anniversary of the Great War, August 4th, 1917 [illustration] -- The First 500 of Newfoundland Regiment at Pleasantville ready to embark for England, October 4, 1914 [illustration] -- No. 1 Platoon "A" Co., Newfoundland Regiment, 1915 ; No. 2 Platoon "B" Co., Newfoundland Regiment, 1915 [illustrations].
SubjectNewfoundland and Labrador--Periodicals
Physical Description44 p. : ill.
NoteIndexed in: Newfoundland Periodical Article Bibliography.
LocationCanada--Newfoundland and Labrador
Time Period20th Century
Journal DetailsThe Newfoundland Quarterly (1901-present) began publication when the province was still an independent country, founder John J. Evans describing it as "a literary magazine of interest to Newfoundlanders at home and abroad." Geared to a general audience, it is the island's oldest magazine and the second oldest magazine published in Canada. It provides an invaluable forum for the publication of work by Newfoundland writers, artists and photographers. The magazine features articles on Newfoundland history and culture, interviews and biographies, literature and literary criticism including book reviews. Advertisements are included in the issues before 1983. Since 1966 the Newfoundland Quarterly has also included Aspects, a publication of the Newfoundland Historical Society.
Resource TypePeriodical
FormatImage/jpeg; Application/pdf
Record NumberCNS-NQ0071
CollectionCentre for Newfoundland Studies - The Newfoundland Quarterly
RepositoryMemorial University of Newfoundland. Libraries. Centre for Newfoundland Studies
SourcePrint text held in the Centre for Newfoundland Studies.
PDF File(7.6 MB) --