Digital Archives Initiative
ICH - Knowledge and Practices Concerning Nature and the Universe
 
Browsing item(s) in
results 1-20 of 960 item(s)  page 1 of 48 : ( <<  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  >> ) :: previous : next
select all : clear all : add to favorites
 Image: Descriptive Title: Topic: Description:

1. Porter, Barry. Dale Jarvis interviewing Barry Porter regarding lighthouses, September 11, 2009. Porter, Barry. Dale Jarvis interviewing Barry Porter regarding lighthouses, September 11, 2009. Dale Jarvis interviewing Barry Porter regarding lighthouses, September 11, 2009. The informant discusses his life as a lighthouse keeper, where he worked, the characteristics of the lights, a typical work day, the fog horn system, and the difference between manned and unmanned lighthouses.

2. Aucoin, Kevin. Kevin Aucoin discusses Hay Barracks. Aucoin, Kevin. Kevin Aucoin discusses Hay Barracks. Agriculture; Farming; Kevin Aucoin of the Agricultural History Society of Newfoundland and Labrador, on the subject of hay barracks, interviewed by folklorist Dale Jarvis on Friday, August 19, 2011, at the Newman Building on Springdale Street, St. John’s. Kevin describes his origins in the community of Thompkins, Codroy Valley, born 1941, son of William and Dorothy Aucoin; gives a short history of his family and the family farm; description of farm; memories of hay barracks or hay stacks – a type of agricultural building made with four large corner poles with a wooden structure around the base and a moveable roof which could be raised to store hay; storing hay and oats; size of the hay stack; length of time hay could be stored; description of the fence structure at base of the stack and why it was created; how hay was taken out when needed; distribution of hay stacks in the 1940s and 1950s; gradual decline and evolution of farming in 1960s and 1970s; weight of the hay barrack roof and labour required to raise it.

3. Chafe, Liz. Liz Chafe discusses raising Newfoundland Ponies and their history. Chafe, Liz. Liz Chafe discusses raising Newfoundland Ponies and their history. Animals; Liz Chafe discusses raising Newfoundland Ponies and their history.

4. Chaulk-Murray, Exterior, Mount Pearl
 Chaulk-Murray, Exterior, Mount Pearl Architecture, building and construction; Buildings; Outbuildings; Root cellars; This is a shed style with a cellar underground in the concrete block foundation. There is no hatch entrance; however there is a set of concrete stairs in the front, right corner of the shed that leads down to the cellar. Cellar was built by Hilda and her husband Murdo in 1965, including digging the hole by hand. It was used to store vegetables and the shed portion has always been used to store miscellaneous garden supplies. Today the cellar is used off and on for vegetable storage as well as storage of flower pots and planting materials. It has electricity and is approximately 3m x 4m.

5. Front Rd. root cellar, exterior, Bay Roberts
 Front Rd. root cellar, exterior, Bay Roberts Architecture, building and construction; Buildings; Outbuildings; Root cellars; Root cellar, Front Rd., Bay Roberts. Currently not maintained and beginning to collapse. Stone construction, entrance was through hatch in upper level shed.

6. Working high steel in New York City 
 Working high steel in New York City Architecture, building and construction; Working high steel in New York City

7. Upper Jenkins' Cove Root Cellar 27, Twillingate, Newfoundland 
 Upper Jenkins' Cove Root Cellar 27, Twillingate, Newfoundland Architecture, building and construction; Buildings; Outbuildings; Root cellars; Root Cellar in Upper Jenkins’ Cove, Twillingate. Built by Youl Bourden. c. 1809.

8. Crow Head Root Cellar 4 Twillingate, Newfoundland 
 Crow Head Root Cellar 4 Twillingate, Newfoundland Architecture, building and construction; Buildings; Outbuildings; Root cellars; Root Cellar in Crow Head, Twillingate. First Owned By Harris Hamlyn. c.1898. Currently Owned By Raymond Andrews.

9. Government House Root Cellar, Exterior, St. John's
 Government House Root Cellar, Exterior, St. John's Architecture, building and construction; Buildings; Outbuildings; Root cellars; The government house root cellar is located in one of the many outbuildings in the back of the property toward Circular Road in St. John’s. It is located next to the vegetable field and barn. It is believed to have been built around 1831. Originally it was used to store vegetables; however it has not been used for vegetables for about 15 years. Almost all of the vegetables that are grown in the garden are donated to charity. Today it is predominantly used for forcing bulbs over the winter. There is a ventilation system and electricity that helps to keep the cellar at a steady zero degrees Celsius. Styrofoam has been added to the ceiling for added insulation to solve cold problems. A sump pump has also been installed to aid in flooding and is connected directly to the municipal water and sewer system. The cellar has been in continuous use since it was built. There are green wooden pounds that are built in and labelled with the name of different vegetables. Additional shelves have been added to be able to store more plants. The cellar is an “L” shaped stone structure measuring at about 10.3m on the longest wall and 5.2m wide.

10. Upper Jenkins' Cove Root Cellar 14, Twillingate, Newfoundland 
 Upper Jenkins' Cove Root Cellar 14, Twillingate, Newfoundland Architecture, building and construction; Buildings; Outbuildings; Root cellars; Root Cellar in Upper Jenkins’ Cove, Twillingate. Built by Harr Pelly c. 1948. Currently owned by Lloyd Bath.

11. Armitage root cellar, hatch entrance, Portland, Newfoundland. Armitage root cellar, hatch entrance, Portland, Newfoundland. Architecture, building and construction; Buildings; Outbuildings; Root cellars; Cellar currently owned by Peter Armitage and Barb Neis, Portland, Goose Bay, Bonavista Bay. Dimensions are 2 m x 2.8 m x 1.65 m high. Access is through hatch in upper level shed. Concrete walls, with concrete floor covered by sawdust and planking. Sawdust on floor of roof for insulation purposes. Roof vent on the north side. Believed to have been built by Gilbert Ash in the 1920s and has been in continuous use. It was rebuilt by John Ash, son of Gilbert Ash, in the late 1990s. Peter Armitage and Barb Neis bought the property from the Ash family in 2009 and replaced the roof of the cellar in 2010. It is currently used to store cabbage, carrots, potatoes, and paint, and has also been used a beer cooler in the past.

12. Crow Head Root Cellar 2 Twillingate, Newfoundland 
 Crow Head Root Cellar 2 Twillingate, Newfoundland Architecture, building and construction; Buildings; Outbuildings; Root cellars; Root Cellar in Crow Head, Twillingate. First Owned By Alvin Hamlyn. c.1938. Currently Owned By Johney Hamlyn.

13. Crow Head Root Cellar 6 Twillingate, Newfoundland 
 Crow Head Root Cellar 6 Twillingate, Newfoundland Architecture, building and construction; Buildings; Outbuildings; Root cellars; Root Cellar in Crow Head, Twillingate. First Owned By Alvin Hamlyn. c.1908. Currently Owned By Ken Howell.

14. Conway, Dick. Dick Conway poses with bolt and wrenches
 Conway, Dick. Dick Conway poses with bolt and wrenches Architecture, building and construction; Tools and Equipment; Conway, Dick. Dick Conway poses with bolt and wrenches that would have been used in high steel work.

15. French's Cove 4 root cellar restoration, stage 4, Bay Roberts
 French's Cove 4 root cellar restoration, stage 4, Bay Roberts Architecture, building and construction; Buildings; Outbuildings; Root cellars; Root cellar reconstruction in 2003, French’s Cove, Shoreline Heritage Walk, Bay Roberts.

16. Front Rd. root cellar drawing, Bay Roberts, Newfoundland. Front Rd. root cellar drawing, Bay Roberts, Newfoundland. Architecture, building and construction; Buildings; Outbuildings; Root cellars; Root cellar currently not in use, Front Rd., Bay Roberts. Stone construction, entrance was through hatch in upper level shed.

17. Conway, Dick. Dick Conway holds out a large bolt. 
 Conway, Dick. Dick Conway holds out a large bolt. Architecture, building and construction; Tools and Equipment; Dick Conway show a large bolt that would have been used in high steel to bolt beams together.

18. Bryant's Cove 4 root cellar, front of shed, Bryant's Cove, Newfoundland
 Bryant’s Cove 4 root cellar, front of shed, Bryant’s Cove, Newfoundland Architecture, building and construction; Buildings; Outbuildings; Root cellars; " Root cellar located in Bryant’s Cove currently owned by Heber Parson. Cellar was constructed by Heber Parsons paternal grandfather over 100 years ago. It continued to be used by Heber’s parent’s Chesley and Clara Parsons, until their children were grown and left home. It was used to store carrots, potatoes, cabbage, turnip and beets grown by Parsons on small farm for family consumption . The family also kept some livestock and cut hay.The cellar itself is no longer in use, but the shed continues to be used for storage. The cellar was constructed with stone and dug into natural hill. Accessed through hatch in shed constructed on top of cellar. It is approximately 4 m x 5 m and 1.5 deep. "

19. Cupids 16, Burnt Head Loop, Cupids
 Cupids 16, Burnt Head Loop, Cupids Architecture, building and construction; Buildings; Outbuildings; Root cellars; Red steep pitch gable roof of shed visible from rear.

20. Cupids 12, Burnt Head Loop, Cupids
 Cupids 12, Burnt Head Loop, Cupids Architecture, building and construction; Buildings; Outbuildings; Root cellars; Red shed structure with door and no windows. Rock foundation wall visible to the right.
select all : clear all : add to favorites
results 1-20 of 960 item(s)  page 1 of 48 : ( <<  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  >> ) :: previous : next