Skip to main content

Memorial University of Newfoundland - Digital Archives Initiative


Archives and Special Collections - Digitized Material

For information on Archives and Special Collections please visit our Finding Aid page.


Table of Contents
100 Year Diary: A Chronology of Newfoundland History from 1879-1978
Bonavista Methodist Church
Bowring Park Photo Albums (Coll-311)
Charles Sydney Frost Collection (Coll-346)
The Collegian Service Records (Coll-366)
Don Walsh Collection (Coll-457)
Frances Cluett Collection (Coll-174)
Frew and Tessier Photo Albums (Coll-276)
Galway as a Transatlantic Port (Coll-237, file 11.01.0008)
Gauntlet Press of Richard Outram and Barbara Howard
Geography Collection (Coll-137)
George Bond Collection (Coll-236)
Gustav Anderson Photograph Album (Coll-429)
Harvey Skirving Collection (Coll-058)
International Labour and Radical History Pamphlet Collection
The Job Kean Collection (Coll-339)
Journal of Rev William Marshall 1839-1942 (MF-238)
Kevin Keegan Papers (Coll-474)
Labrador Inuit through Moravian Eyes
Lester Barbour Collection (Coll-209)
Lubrano Collection of Broadside Ballads
Margaret (Mayo) Chancey Diary (MF-150)
Maria Patience Andrews Exercise Book (MF-122)
Mary Schwall Collection (Coll-206)
Maxwell Cook Collection (Coll-415)
The Manual Family of Exploits Diary (MF-385)
Newfoundland and Labrador Performing Arts Poster Collection (Coll-143)
Newfoundland Delegation, Ottawa, 1948, Photograph Album (from Coll-363)
Newfoundland Scenery presented to Joseph Laurence (Coll-199)
Nominal Census Exploits River, Cape John and Fogo Island, 1836 (Coll-150, Series 8)
Peyton Family Collection Land Surveys (Coll-150, Series 7)
Rare Books and Manuscripts
Rare Books and Special Collections - Bibliographies
Ruby Ayre Photograph Album, 1916-1918 (Coll-322)
Register for rooms at Twillingate, 1806 to 1828 (Coll-150, Series 3)
Sir Richard Squires and Lady Helena Squires Passports (from Coll-250)
Sir Richard Squires Photo Album - European Tour 1920 (from Coll-250)
Sir Robert Bond (Coll-237)
S.J. Carew Photograph Collection (Coll-012)
Rossley Kiddie Company (Coll-472)
Terms of Union of Newfoundland with Canada (from Coll-075)
Lt. Col. Thomas F. Nangle (Coll-308)
Trip to the Newfoundland Seal Hunt 1937 (Coll-157)
Walter Sellars papers: Calypso Ship Plans (Coll-176, Series 7.01)
William Pearce Moss (MF-387)

100 Year Diary: A Chronology of Newfoundland History from 1879-1978.

This unique item was created in 1979 when the St. John's daily newspaper, The Telegram, celebrated its 100th anniversary. It is a timeline of events covering 100 years of Newfoundland history mixed with world events. The timeline appears to be a reprint of the "50 years Ago Today" and "25 years Ago Today" columns. Printed on a single piece of paper it measures 1 ½ inches wide by 36 ½ feet long.


The original document is held in the Michael Harrington Collection, Coll-307. Harrington was the editor of The Telegram from 1959 to 1982.

For more information on this collection, click here.


Bonavista Methodist Church

Located on the northeastern tip of the Bonavista peninsula, the municipality of Bonavista is one of the oldest towns on the northeast coast of Newfoundland. On June 24th, 1497, John Cabot, an Italian explorer sailing under the British flag for King Henry VII, made landfall in the New World.

Methodism was founded in Newfoundland in 1766 with the arrival of Rev. Laurence Coughlan, a newly-ordained Church of England priest who had been converted to Methodism some 13 years previously.

The first Methodist Church in Bonavista was constructed in 1814 under the ministry of Rev. William Ellis. It served the people of Bonavista for 35 years when it was enlarged to house the growing population. However, on January 8, 1870 a severe storm destroyed the church. It was rebuilt within a year under the ministry of Rev. John S. Phimmey. The building could seat 800 people; however, with time the population grew and a larger building was needed, so on March 4, 1918 the church was taken down in order to build a new one. The fourth and present church was completed in 1921 under the leadership of Rev. Charles Lench. It is 65 feet wide and 124 feet long with a seating capacity of 1200 which makes it the largest wooden church in Eastern Canada. The design is "Classical Revival Style" which was widely popular at this time. It has an open scissor-brace rafter system, a timber balloon frame, and a combination stone-concrete foundation. The church was designed by architect Charles H. Lench, M.Arch. (Harvard). The Master Builder of the church was Ronald Strathie, who also built other structures in Bonavista. The tower clock was purchased from the Howard Clock Company in New York and was installed by Mr. Strathie and has long been a landmark for local fishermen returning to port.

A special ceremony was held for the laying of the cornerstone on October 31, 1921. The cornerstone contains a box filled with contemporary copies of newspapers, the "Methodist Monthly Greeting," circulating coins, and a list of the officials attending the ceremony.

The fine stained glass window in the facade was donated by the Swyers Family in memory of those who lost their lives in war; it portrays Christ as the Good Shepherd, and incorporates symbols appropriate to The United Church of Canada.

The building was dedicated on 28th January, 1923. Two years later, upon church union, the Methodist church became part of The United Church of Canada.

The church seats 1375 people and is filled to capacity when used for occasions of a special nature, such as ecumenical services, high school graduation ceremonies, and special performances such as Handel's "Messiah" given by the Newfoundland Symphony Orchestra and its Philharmonic Choir, an event held first held during the Christmas Season of 1996 and again in 2008.

The church has a thriving Sunday School, active adult groups - United Church Women and Men's Fellowship Group - as well as a Junior and Senior Choir, Mime Group, and Messenger Group. Weekly Prayer Services are held and there are Sunday evening "After Services" following the regular evening worship.

From Charles Lench, The Story of Methodism in Bonavista
Encyclopedia of Newfoundland and Labrador
http://www.heritage.nf.ca/society/methodist.html
http://www.memorialunited.ca/page2.html



Bowring Park Photo Albums (Coll-311)
Photo Album 1, Photo Album 2

Bowring Park Photograph Albums Coll-311

This collection consists of two photograph albums showing the creation of Bowring Park during the years 1912 to 1914. The photos were taken by landscape architect, Rudolph Cochius. The albums were donated to the Archives and Special Collections by the Bowring Park Foundation in 2002. Rudolph Cochius had worked on landscape and road construction projects in Holland, Switzerland, Germany, Belgium and France before immigrating to Canada in 1911. The following year he went to St. John's to supervise the development of the new park. In a preliminary report on the project submitted to Sir Edgar Bowring, Cochius wrote "It would hardly seem possible that a greater number of attractive natural features could be combined within such an area, almost surrounded as it is by the north and south rivers, whose well wooded banks make a very pleasing boundary for the proposed Park, while the interior of the property is for the most part open and well adapted for play-grounds and other public purposes."
He went on to recommend "I think the most important play-grounds, such as tennis, bowling, etc., should be located in the vicinity of the shelter; but there should also be provided, on the level area below the bridge, a pool for bathing, etc. Suitable bathing houses should also be provided." Cochius spent the next two years designing the layout for Bowring Park and after it opened on July 14, 1914, he agreed to remain as park superintendent and oversee future development of the landscape.
In 1920 Cochius returned to Europe where he spent 1920 and 1921 as a town planner in Belgium. The Newfoundland Government wanted to create war memorial parks at the five main European battle sites where the Newfoundland Regiment fought and sustained major casualties. In 1922 Prime Minister Richard Squires approached Cochius to design these parks in France and Belgium. When this work was completed, in 1925, he returned to Newfoundland where he was appointed a member of the Newfoundland Highroads Commission. During this time he also designed Mount Pearl Park. In 1928 he was appointed to the first St. John's Town Planning Commission, established by St. John's City Council. In 1934, the Newfoundland Government appointed him to the governing board for the Markland Land Settlement, the first of the Commission of Government schemes to create a series of farming communities in rural Newfoundland. Rudolf Cochius married Marie Aarsen of Amsterdam on December 7, 1911. Cochius died in March 1944.

For more information on this please see the Finding Aid for the Bowring Park Photograph Albums Coll-311


The Collegian Service Record


Collegian Service Record- The Methodist College (Later Prince of Wales College)

This small collection consists of the Records of Collegians who served in the First World War. Each page has the name of person, address and next of kin, as well as the dates of events including Date of Enlistment, Date Embarked, Promotions, etc.

There are over 200 students listed here including such notables as Cluny Macpherson, Owen Steele, Lester Barbour, and Robert Tait.

“Collegian” was the name given to a student who attended the Methodist College, located on Long’s Hill in St. John’s. The school yearbook, which was begun by the headmaster Robert Holloway in 1896, was called “The Collegian”.

Founded in 1859, the Methodist College subsequently became Prince of Wales College. In 1925 Methodists in Newfoundland became part of the United Church of Canada and with subsequent reorganization of the United Church education system, as well as new buildings, the old Methodist College was renamed Holloway School and a new school on LeMarchant Road was named Prince of Wales College.


Don Walsh Collection (Coll-457)


Fonds consists of textual, photographic, and audio-visual material relating to Don Walsh's life and career,1960s-2014. Fonds includes promotional material, photographs, recordings, and correspondence related to Walsh's activities as music producer (Dadyeen Studios) and a professional musician with the following bands: Red Island,Tickle Harbour, Plankerdown Band, and Solid Ground. Material also relates to his activities as an independent musician. The fonds also includes material associated with his personal life (family and friends) as well as his work as a computer programmer. In addition, the fonds consists of a pan flute, several t-shirts and art work.


Frances Cluett Collection (Coll-174)


This collection consists of material generated by Frances Cluett who served as a Voluntary Aid Detachment (VAD) in Europe during World War I and covers the years from 1916 to 1920. The collection consists mainly of correspondence written by Frances Cluett to her mother, Matilda Cluett, in Belleoram, Fortune Bay. There is a photograph album of pictures taken by Cluett, many of them documenting her time in Europe, two badges bearing the initials SJAB (St. John Ambulance Brigade), and five watercolours painted by Cluett during her service in France. There is also a German Iron Cross medal which was given to her by a German soldier; an autograph album covering the years 1907 to 1910; and, a small journal written by Cluett in 1908 describing life in Belleoram.

These letters, photographs and other items provide insight into the life of one Newfoundland woman and her experiences as a VAD in World War I.

For more information on this please see the Finding Aid for the Frost Collection Coll-174


Charles Sydney Frost Collection (Coll-346)
Photo Album
Royal Newfoundland Regiment Scrapbook - Book 1
Royal Newfoundland Regiment Scrapbook - Book 2
Royal Newfoundland Regiment Scrapbook - Book 3
Royal Newfoundland Regiment Scrapbook - Book 4
Military Field Messages Royal Newfoundland Regt. France and Flanders 1916-1918


The photographs in this album were collected by Charles Sydney Frost during his service with the Royal Newfoundland Regiment in the First World War. Most of the photographs were taken between 1914 and 1918. They are snapshots of Regiment officers while in the United Kingdom and France. The majority of these men were from "B" Company and it is likely that the photos of these men were taken while C.S. Frost presided over that company as Captain. Also contained in the album are reproductions of the 12 Newfoundland stamps that were issued to honor the Regiment's service in World War One.



For more information on this please see the Finding Aid for the Frost Collection Coll-346


Frew and Tessier Photo Albums (Coll-276)
Album 1, Album 2

These two photograph albums contain black and white photographs, mostly of St. John's and surrounding area, and were probably collected by the Frew family of St. John's. They appear to be taken around the turn of the century and contain several good images of St. John's after the Great Fire of 1892. On the inside back cover there is written "G.J. Tessier, Amateur photographer".

The albums were apparently also used as scrapbooks and contains paper images of, possibly, Africa.
The albums were given to the Archives and Special Collections in 2000 by Dr Tom Nemec.

For more information on this please see the Finding Aid for the Collection Coll-276


Galway as a Transatlantic Port by Richard J. Kelly, Barrister at Law, 1903

In 1903, Richard Kelly sent a copy of his book, Galway as a Transatlantic Port, to Sir Robert Bond, the Prime Minister of Newfoundland. The original is housed in the Bond Collection, Coll-237, file 11.01.008. The file also contains a letter from Kelly to Bond.

For more information on the Robert Bond collection, see the finding aid COLL-199. Series 11, in particular, consists of material related to Bond's interests and involvement in an all British trans-Atlantic shipping route which would include Newfoundland as a trans-shipment point.

Richard John Kelly (1856-1931)

Richard John Kelly, a newspaper editor and lawyer, was born January 20, 1856 and educated at Blackrock College and QCG and became a reporter and editorial writer for the Tuam Herald before assuming full control.

Kelly was called to the bar in 1886 and built up a successful practice on the Connacht circuit, becoming a king's counsel in 1914. He published numerous legal works. Kelly took a strong interest in local matters and lobbied for the development of Galway as an Atlantic port.

Richard John Kelly died 3 September 1931 in Dublin and was buried at Glasnevin cemetery. He married Edith Mackey of Southampton; they had one son, Richard Jasper and six daughters.

From the Dictionary of Irish Biography, Cambridge University Press.


Gauntlet Press of Richard Outram and Barbara Howard
The Gauntlet Press was operated jointly by the Canadian poet Richard Outram and his artist wife Barbara Howard for over forty years, producing superbly crafted limited edition letterpress broadsheets and booklets. Later broadsides differ from the original letterpress publications in being computer-generated. All the books and broadsheets reproduced digitally at this site can be seen in their paper analogues at the QE II Library's Centre for Newfoundland Studies. This Web site was jointly sponsored by the QEII Library and the Department of English of Memorial University.
Gauntlet Press Postscript
Gauntlet Press Postscript is a digital archive of the two poetic sequences Nine Shiners and Brief Immortals written by Richard Outram after the sudden death of his wife, Barbara Howard, in 2002. Originally sent only to a small circle of close friends, these intensely personal final poems, accompanied by reproductions of Howard's paintings, were not assigned a Gauntlet Press imprint by Outram. Nevertheless, given their important place in Outram's and Howard's artistic and poetic oeuvre, they are reproduced here as a companion-piece to The Gauntlet Press of Richard Outram and Barbara Howard digital archive. The digital images have been provided by Peter Newman and Susan Warner Keene from a print original.
Robert D. Denham Collection
The one-hundred-and-thirty titles in the Robert D. Denham's Collection include books, broadsides and keepsakes produced by the Gauntlet Press, the private press established by Canadian poet Richard Outram and Canadian artist Barbara Howard. The Collection also holds trade editions of Outram's work as well as works by Richard Outram and Barbara Howard that do not bear the mark of the Gauntlet Press. Many of the items in the Collection are presentation copies, inscribed by Outram for Professor Robert D. Denham and his wife. The Collection also contains Gauntlet Press and other titles that were originally Barbara Howards's personal copies, several of which bear an inscription in Richard Outram's hand.


Geography Collection - Historical Photographs of Newfoundland and Labrador

The Geography Collection consists of 1109 black and white photographs together with contact prints and negatives. These photographs depict many images of Newfoundland and Labrador houses, churches, public buildings, ships, railways, communities, and special events. The creation of these photographs was primarily the work of three prominent photographers: Robert Holloway, S.H. Parsons and James Vey. Through a special project initiated by the Geography Department of Memorial University of Newfoundland, the photographs were copied from the original glass negatives that were in the custody of the Newfoundland Museum but are now on deposit in the Provincial Archives of Newfoundland and Labrador. They were arranged and described in an annotated guide to the collection, The Historic Photographic Collection of the Department of Geography, in three volumes by Dr. Maurice Scarlett, professor of Geography, Memorial University of Newfoundland, and his wife, Shirley Scarlett.

These photographs will be of interest to anyone seeking historic photographs of Newfoundland and Labrador.


George Bond Collection (Coll-236)
The Story of The Sing Yet, Photographs of Rag Dolls

George Bond (1850-1933), Methodist minister and writer, was born on 1 July 1850 in St. John's, the eldest son of John Bond and Elizabeth Roberts. He received his early education in St. John's, and in 1869 decided to enter the Methodist ministry. He was accepted as a candidate in 1871, and studied for the ministry at Mount Allison Methodist College in Sackville, New Brunswick; he graduated in 1874. He was ordained into the Methodist ministry at George Street Methodist Church in St. John's on 26 June 1876.

In 1891 Bond transferred to Nova Scotia. He served in Halifax at Grafton Methodist Church and Oxford Street Church, and at Canso. In 1895 he was appointed editor of The Wesleyan, a monthly church magazine published in Halifax.

While he was serving in Nova Scotia, Bond spent a year, 1907-1908, in China and Japan studying the church's missionary work there. His visit took him up the Yangtze River where he saw first-hand the work of the Methodist missionaries in that part of the country. After his return to Halifax, he used what he had learned, together with photographs he had taken in China, to give public lectures on this facet of the church's work.

George Bond retired from the active ministry in 1923. He spent part of his retirement in Halifax, but also lived part of each year at the Grange, which he inherited after his brother's death in 1927.

Series 2.03 documents his involvement with the Methodist Church in China and includes: diaries, notebooks, lantern slides, posters, and books. One book titled The Story of The Sing Yet Family by J L Stewart, c. 1910 included "Rag Dolls" to use as illustrations to accompany the book.

For more information on the George Bond Collection, see finding aid COLL-236 here.


Gustav Anderson Photograph Album (Coll-429)

Gustav Anderson Photograph Album Coll-429
Photos in this album were taken by Gustav Anderson for the Newfoundland Tourist Development Board in 1950.
Gustav Anderson (1897-1974), photoengraver, pictorial photographer, salon exhibitor, was born in Stockholm, Sweden, on 17 October 1897. He died on 9 November 1974 in Salt Lake City, Utah, the home of his Stella.
Anderson grew up in a rural village in Sweden. By age fourteen, he was employed in a photoengraving shop and studying art in night school. He subsequently worked in the Swedish film industry where he reportedly hand-developed the first Greta Garbo film. He emigrated to the United States circa 1925; in 1928 he settled in Amityville, Long Island, and worked nearly all his life as a photoengraver in New York.

For more information on the Gustav Anderson Collection, see finding aid see Coll-429 here.


Harvey Skirving Scrapbooks (Coll-058)
Scrapbook 1
Scrapbook 2
Scrapbook 3
Scrapbook 4


These scrapbook were kept by Harvey Skirving who was 12 years old when the World War I broke out in August 1914. Little is known of Skirving except the fact that he later worked as an accountant in St John's.

For more information on the Harvey Skirving Collection, see finding aid see Coll-058 here.


International Labour and Radical History Pamphlet Collection
The International Labour and Radical History Pamphlet Collection in the Queen Elizabeth II Library consists of more than 2200 pamphlets, representing a broad spectrum of leftist opinion that includes communists of various stripes, socialists, liberal reformers, trade unionists, civil libertarians and antiwar activists.

Published for the most part between the years 1920 and 1970 (the collection also includes a number of Fabian Society publications that predate this period), the majority of the pamphlets are English-language publications from the United States, the Soviet Union, Great Britain, Canada and China. Among the topics and issues dealt with are socialist theory and practice, critiques of capitalism, war and peace, labour and the role of unions, international communism, the Vietnam war, racism and Third World liberation. Authors include Daniel DeLeon, Earl Browder, William Z Foster, Elizabeth Gurley Flynn, Georgi Dimitrov, James Cannon, Howard Fast, Anna Louise Strong, Paul Robeson, Harry Pollitt, Jacques Duclos, Vyacheslav Molotov, Sergei Eisenstein, as well as Lenin, Trotsky, Stalin and Mao.


The Job Kean Collection (Coll-339)
In 1997 Janet Davis and Duke Kelloway, from Wesleyville, became the new owners of the old Job Kean premises in Brookfield, Bonavista Bay. Among the items purchased with the house were hundreds of Christmas cards dating from 1905 to 1926. The following year Ms Davis donated this wonderful collection to the Archives and Special Collections division of the Queen Elizabeth II Library.

Job Kean's family moved from Flower's Island, Bonavista Bay, to Norton's Cove in 1878. The Keans were seafaring people. Job's uncle, the famous Captain Abram Kean, (who subsequently renamed Norton's Cove to Brookfield) was the most successful sealing captain in Newfoundland history. Like his uncles and brothers, Job participated in the seal fishery in the spring of the year and in the cod fishery on the Labrador coast during the summer. He served as captain of the sealing ship the S.S. Erik for 12 years and was captain of the S.S. Leopard during the Greenland disaster of 1898.

Captain Job Kean (1863-1945) married Virtue Maria Hann (1858-1929) of Cape Cove. They built a three-storey Mansard-roofed house in Norton's Cove in 1884, and around 1890 opened a shop that supplied ships' provisions - groceries, clothing, salt - in essence, everything from "a needle to an anchor". Job and Virtue had eleven children: five sons: Hedley Walter (d.1892, 7 mos.) Baxter Wesley (1895-1976) who was to remain a bachelor and inherit the family property: Alexander Smith (d. 1905, 10 mos.) and Charles (1901-1975) who married Lydia Parsons of cat Harbour, and six daughters: Maggie Marcilla Hann (b.1884) who married Baxter Barbour from Newtown; Sophie who moved to New York and subsequently married there; Gladys Murray (d. 1891, 7 mos.); Mary Jane (d. 1897, 5 mos.); Daisy, who married Job Wornell of Greenspond and later Joseph Bartlett; and Carrie who graduated from the Friends Hospital in Philadelphia as a nurse. The Kean shop was the centre of commerce in the Brookfield area. Located near the harbour front, Kean's ships had easy access to the shop when they arrived in port for supplies and merchandise. Kean's also supplied other local sailing vessels. According to residents, Aunt Virtue and her son Baxter would usually be found behind the counter. In addition, Virtue ran the telegraph and post office from these premises.

Virtue Kean also became famous as a poet and a songwriter. According to tradition, she wrote the folk song "Lukey's Boat" and performed it one night at the Methodist Church Hall as a way of poking fun at local resident Luke Gaulton. As she sang verse after verse ridiculing both him and his boat, the audience roared with laughter. Gaulton later added a verse of his own, making fun of Virtue's well-known hypochondria.

Virtue died in 1929 and in 1945, after Job's death, Baxter was left to carry on alone. At his death, the business passed to his nephew Job Kean, son of Charlie Kean, who eventually closed up shop in the 1970s and moved to St. John's.

Today there is a new and thriving enterprise on the old Kean property. Janet Davis, after lovingly restoring the shop to its former glory, operates the Norton's Cove Studio from there in the award-winning heritage structure.

For more about Job Kean see the Archives finding aid COLL-339


Journal of Rev William Marshall 1839-1942 (MF-238)
This collection consists of the Journal of Rev William Marshall, a Methodist Missionary to Newfoundland. It covers daily accounts of Marhsall's years on the south coast of Newfoundland, from 1839 to1842.

For more about William Marshall see the Archives finding aid MF-238


Kevin Keegan Papers Coll-474
This collection consists of material, primarily correspondence, between Kevin Keegan and his parents, from 1915 to 1918 as well as material related to Keegan's service with the Newfoundland Regiment during World War I. There is also correspondence between Kevin Keegan's father, Dr Lawrence Keegan, and the Newfoundland Colonial Secretary, R.A. Squires.

For more about Kevin Keegan see the Archives finding aid Coll-474


Labrador Inuit through Moravian Eyes
This site provides information on the 250-year relationship between Moravian missionaries and the Inuit of Labrador. This interaction led to the establishment of settlements for a formerly nomadic people, their conversion to Christianity and exposure to aspects of North American culture. The information has been gathered from a variety of sources that shed light upon this unique adventure.


Lester Barbour Collection (Coll-209)
The Barbour family of Newtown, Bonavista Bay, were very prominent in Newfoundland history. Members of the family are found in many walks of life including master mariners, sealing captains, school teachers, clergy, sailors, lawyers, politicians, and soldiers.

According to family history, the first Barbour to come to Newfoundland from England was Captain George Barbour arrived in Greenspond, Bonavista Bay, in the early part of the 19th century. He had one son, Benjamin Barbour, (1809-1891). Around 1824 Benjamin Barbour moved to Pinchard's Island and in 1843 he settled at Cobbler's Island, a small island southwest of Cape Freels. In 1841, Benjamin Barbour married Rebecca Green of Greenspond (1820-1906) and they had eleven children: Joseph, William, Thomas, George, James, John, Benjamin, Samuel, Edward, Mary and Keziah. The first five sons were well-known sealing captains. Benjamin, Samuel and Edward were engaged in the fishery but later, Edward and Samuel went into business forming a partnership known as "E.& S. Barbour" in Newtown with a branch in St. John's.

Edward Barbour was born August 2, 1862 at Cobbler's Island and died June 8, 1912 at the age of 50. He married Mary Jane Kean of Brookfield, Bonavista Bay, who was born July 2, 1866 at Flower's Island and died July 4, 1941 at the age of 75. Edward and Mary Jane Barbour had nine children: Clarissa, Sybil, Lester, Job Kean, Elsie, Clifton (died in infancy), Wilhelmina, Clarence (died in infancy), and Carlson.

In 1917 Lester Densmore Barbour, eldest son of the Edward and Mary Jane Barbour, enlisted with the Royal Newfoundland Regiment. He died on March 10, 1918, of wounds that were sustained during the Battle of Paschendale Ridge. While overseas, in England and in France, Lester Barbour wrote home regularly to his mother and sisters.

This collection consists of the Lester Barbour correspondence.

For further information about the Barbour family see The Exploits and Anecdotes of the Barbours of Bonavista Bay by Carl Barbour, 1973.


Lubrano Collection of Broadside Ballads
The ballads in this collection are typical examples of nineteenth century broadside printer's art with most sheets containing two ballads, many with a woodcut at the top and displayed title underneath it, and often with another decorative cut at the bottom of the sheet. The same woodcut is often used with different ballads. Sometimes the matching of woodcut, title and ballad are incongruous as in the ballad "Old Folks at Home" (Folder 4, #55). Some of the broadsides display the printers name and address, e.g. Folder 1, # 61: Joseph Ford, Printer, 70, Pinstone Street, Sheffield. In a number of cases (e.g. Folder 1, #66) the printers name and the date of printing is written in by hand: "Joseph Tate, printer, July 1841." Folder 3 consists entirely of the work of London printers, particularly those operating in the Seven Dials district. All of the broadsides are in roman type; a few still display the long or descending s (?) (Folder #7, #'s 5 and 21, printer J. Pitts; and Folder 10, #11).


Margaret (Mayo) Chancey Diary (MF-150)

This diary was kept by a young woman in her mid-twenties during the year 1897. It contains a brief entry for each day; nothing spectacular, just ordinary events in the life of a young woman living in St. John's as the end of a century approached. She records the weather, what she did each day, shopping expeditions, church services, tea parties, staying at home with her mother. But the physical diary tells as much about the young woman as what she writes. Her literacy and writing ability attest to a good education. On the cover of the diary she has written her name and address. The family home was located at 31 Cookstown Road, a street which was up over the hill from downtown, running north through LeMarchant Road.

This diary should prove to be of interest to social historians, students of autobiography and women's studies, and all who are curious about the writings of a young woman in the St. John's of 1897.

Margaret Jane Hill Mayo was born in St. John's in 1871 or 1872. She was the youngest of three children born to William Mayo (1829-1904) and Rebecca Butler (1833-1912). Her older sister, Mary, was born in 1861, married Eli Benson of Grate's Cove in 1885 and died in 1889 at the age of 28. Her brother, John Frederick, was born in 1869, married Rebecca Rogers, and died in 1944. William Mayo's grandfather, also William Mayo, came to Newfoundland from Great Britain with the Royal Newfoundland Company, a military force stationed in St. John's, in the 1790s. He married Frances King in St. John's in 1796 and they had four children, one of whom was James Mayo. James married Mary Dagwell of St. John's and they, too, had four children, the eldest of whom was William Mayo.

Very little is known of Margaret Mayo's life. The Mayo's attended Gower Street Methodist Church, so it would seem likely that Margaret and her siblings attended the Methodist Academy, on Long's Hill. While she may have worked after finishing school, there is no indication of this in the diary that she kept during 1897. Her days in that year were filled with shopping, visiting, and attending church services and church-related events.

On August 8, 1901 Margaret married Lloyd Tocque Chancey (1865-1931) of St. John's. The ceremony took place at Gower Street Methodist Church and was conducted by Rev. William Rice, the groom's mother's brother. Lloyd Chancey was the youngest son of William George Fletcher Chancey (1820-1895) and Eliza Chancey Rice. The Chancey family had been resident in Newfoundland since the late-1700s, when Lionel Chancey (c. 1751-1822) moved to Harbour Grace from Collompton, Devon; Lionel was Lloyd Chancey's great-grandfather. Lloyd's middle name, Tocque, is probably after the Rev. Philip Tocque (1814-1899), author and clergyman of Carbonear, who married Lloyd father's sister, Eliza.

Margaret Mayo and Lloyd Chancey had four children: one daughter, Pearl, and three sons, Victor, Reginald and Roy; only Roy married, to Blanche Adams. Lloyd Chancey was a barber by profession. The family lived first at Richmond Cottage on Freshwater Road, but sometime after William Mayo's death in 1904, they moved in with Margaret's mother, Rebecca, at 31 Cookstown Road. Records of their life together are scarce, but one can safely assume that Margaret spent her married life raising their children and being a homemaker. After her marriage she began attending her husband's church, the Queen's Road Congregational Church where she sang in the choir. Lloyd Chancey died on September 26, 1931. His wife survived him by ten years, dying September 19, 1941 after a lengthy illness.

For more about Margaret Chancey see the Archives finding aid MF-150


Maria Patience Andrews Exercise Book (MF-222)

Maria Patience Andrews papers, MF-222

This collection consists of an exercise book kept by Maria Patience Andrews when she was a student in Port de Grave. It contains containing songs, poetry and some punishment lines, handwritten by Andrews, c. 1881. The exercise book was donatedby her granddaughter, Anne Dixon, Newcastle upon Tyne, England, in 1985.

For more information see the Finding Aid by clicking here MF-222


Mary Schwall Collection (Coll-206)
View the photographs, View the postcards

This collection consists of 135 photographs taken by Mary Schwall or her companions while on excursions to Newfoundland during 1913 and 1915. They are a pictorial record of a journey by ship from Nova Scotia to Newfoundland, a train trip from Channel to St. John’s, and a trip from St. John’s north around the coast to St. Anthony, across the Strait of Belle Isle to Labrador and down the west coast of the Great Northern Peninsula. There is evidence that the photographs were taken during two trips to Newfoundland, as two photographs have the date 1913 on the back with the caption, while another has the date 1915. The photographs provide visual documentation of Mary Schwall’s vacations, but they also provide valuable information on Newfoundland communities during the early years of the twentieth century. Vernacular architecture historians have attested to the fact that several of the photographs show buildings only previously known through oral accounts. As well there is visual documentation of people, especially children, which can provide information on lifestyle, dress, nutrition, disease, and a host of other subjects.

In addition, there are 56 postcards with images covering much the same geographical area as the photographs, leading one to believe that they were purchased in larger communities during stopovers, or possibly in St. John’s. Most of the postcards were produced for the St. John’s-based companies Ayre & Sons, Ltd. and Dicks & Co.; 31 are coloured. Many of the postcards are scenics, but some are of people, especially 10 which depict Labrador natives in traditional dress or demonstrate aspects of their unique lifestyle.

For more information see the Finding Aid by clicking here COLL-206


Maxwell Cook Collection (Coll-415)

Photograph Album
This collection consists of one photograph album which contains 205 black and white photographs. The photographs were taken by Maxwell Cook when he served with the Royal Canadian Air Force in World War II.

Maxwell Ernest Cook was born August 12, 1921, the son of Johanna (King) Cook and Tasker Cook, at St. John's. He had two brothers: Tasker and Angus, and, three sisters: Phyllis, Douglass and Rita. Little is known of his life, he was educated at Bishop Feild College and was active in the Church Lads Brigade (CLB), a Church of England organization. He married June Howse on October 1, 1946. They had two sons and three daughters.

With the outbreak of World War II and the subsequent building of the American base, Fort Pepperell, in St. John's, Cook worked with a construction company at the base. Sometime after this he worked at the Royal Canadian Airforce base in Torbay. In 1942 he joined the RCAF and moved to Lachine, Quebec, for three months training followed by training in London, Ontario. He went overseas in 1944. Following the war he worked with the fire departments in St. John's: first at the Central Fire Station in 1948 and then various stations, ending up at the Kent's Pond station until his retirement in 1972.

He was a member of the Masons, the Royal Canadian Legion, and a faithful member of St. Thomas's Anglican Church.
Maxwell Cook died November 10, 1994.

For more information see the Finding Aid by clicking here Coll-415


Manual Family of Exploits (MF-385)

The collection consists of a diary kept by members of the Manuel Family (merchant family) of Exploits between the years 1760s to 1840s. The diary was used primarily by William and Joseph Manuel, merchants in the community of Exploits, Notre Dame Bay, Newfoundland

For more information see the Finding Aid by clicking here MF-385


Newfoundland and Labrador Performing Arts Poster Collection (Coll-143)
This collection contains posters of Newfoundland and Labrador theatrical and musical productions, dance performances, benefit concerts, stand-up comedy acts, folk festivals and other performing arts events. Posters of productions coming into the province from other areas are kept if local performers are involved. Posters of productions staged outside the province are kept if they involve Newfoundland and Labrador performers, playwrights, directors, etc.

Posters are obtained in various ways: theatre companies have been asked to save copies for the Archives; members of the Archives staff keep an eye out for outdated posters on bulletin boards and in shop windows; and as collections from theatre companies and individuals are received by the Archives, posters are removed from the collections and placed in the Poster Collection. While posters are physically removed from individual collections, they remain part of their fonds.

The collection will be of interest to students of visual art, graphic design as well as the performing arts and has grown into a valuable resource for academic researchers and those restaging productions.


Newfoundland Delegation, Ottawa, 1948, Photograph Album
In 1948 Gordon Winter was appointed a delegate to negotiate and sign the Terms of Union between Newfoundland and Canada.

This photograph album with 37 black and white photographs depicts the signing of the Terms of Union and the delegations.

The Gordon Winter collection contains minutes of meetings, reports, financial statements, correspondence, and photographs, related to the negotiations between Canada and Newfoundland that resulted in Newfoundland's entry into the Canadian confederation. It also includes a Gordon Winter's copy of the Terms of Union and the pen he used in signing it.

Gordon Winter was born in St. John's in 1912, the son of Ethel (Arnaud) and Robert Gordon Winter. He was educated at Bishop Feild College in St. John's and Loretto School, Musselburgh, Scotland. He married Millicent Anderson. At the age of 18 Winter joined the family firm of T. and M. Winter Ltd., a firm of commercial agents and importers that was founded in 1878.

This photograph album is part of the Gordon Winter Collection, Coll-363. For more information on this Collection, click here.


Newfoundland Scenery presented to Joseph Laurence (Coll-199)
by The Members of the Newfoundland Conference

This album of photographs appears to be the work of Simeon H. Parsons (1844-1908), one of Newfoundland's earliest professional, self-taught and award-winning photographers. The photographs are very much in the style for which Parsons was noted and cover a wide geographic area, including the Burin Peninsula and coastal Labrador, in addition to more easily accessible areas such as St. John's and eastern Newfoundland communities. Internal evidence dates some of the images to around 1884-1885, and given that the recipient of the album, Joseph Laurence, died in October 1886, it would appear safe to assume that the album was compiled during those middle years of the 1880s. Some of the images may date earlier, possibly from stock photographs Parsons may have had on hand.The album contains some rare images of St. John's streets and buildings that were later destroyed in the 1892 fire that ravaged most of the downtown of the city. It also contains images of people at work in the fishery, particularly on the coast of Labrador; various communities on the Burin Peninsula and on the east coast of Newfoundland; rural scenes, including rivers, lakes and waterfalls; icebergs; groups of people, particularly several gatherings of Methodist clergy, some of whom Laurence was probably responsible for sending to Newfoundland.The album should prove beneficial to researchers interested in architectural and municipal development, the development of Methodism, the history of photography, the work of Simeon Parsons, and a variety of other subjects pertaining to Newfoundland in the latter half of the Nineteenth Century.

For more information on the collection please visit the finding aid by clicking COLL-199


Nominal Census Exploits River, Cape John and Fogo Island, 1836 (Coll-150)

Series 8 in Coll-150 includes a handwritten nominal census for 1836 for the area from Exploits River to Cape John and Fogo Island. This census is just one part of the entire collection which has been scanned and placed on this website. The Peyton Family Collection consists of a variety of records deposited in the Archives and Special Collections division by Ernest Peyton of Gander, Newfoundland, as well as material concerning the Peyton family which was transferred from other collections in the Archives. Ernest Peyton is a direct descendant of John Peyton, Senior, the progenitor of a family which has played a prominent role in Newfoundland history: John Peyton, Senior (1747-1827), his son, John Peyton, Junior (1793 -1879), and his son, Thomas Peyton, residents of Exploits Island and Twillingate. The material in this collection ranges from 1806 to 1908 and was mainly written by the Peytons mentioned above. There are a number of legal journals, wills, notary work for shipping wrecks, and writs issued for the Supreme Court. There are two voters lists for Twillingate district (1882 and 1889) which may be the only ones extant from before 1900. A valuable item is the 1836 nominal census for Twillingate and Fogo area which is probably the only one of its kind to have survived from before 1900. The register of fishing rooms (1806-1828) is a rare treasure which should be of interest to historians, demographers, geographers, and genealogists. Other material includes memorials of indentures generated through the Deputy Surveyor's Office, Twillingate, from 1851 to 1908; and, navigational aids for sailing from Newfoundland to a variety of places in Spain, Portugal, Italy, the United Kingdom, Canada, the United States of America, and the West Indies.

For more information on the collection please visit the finding aid by clicking Coll-150


Peyton Family Collection Land Surveys (Coll-150)
The Peyton Family Collection

Series 7 in the Peyton Family Collection, consists of several hundred original, hand-drawn, surveys of land in the Twillingate area, covering the period, 1862-1910. These surveys, which are just one part of the entire collection, have been scanned and placed on this website.

For more information on the collection please visit the finding aid by clicking COLL-150


Rare Books and Manuscripts

Items from the University Libraries' Main Rare Books and Manuscripts collection, housed with the Archives and Special Collections.

Rare Books and Special Collections - Bibliographies


Ruby Ayre Photograph Album, 1916-1918 (Coll-322)

Ruby Ayre was a nurse with a detachment of British Red Cross Society, from 1915-1918. She married Edward Emerson. This collection consists of a scrapbook with photographs kept during her wartime nursing service in the Ascot Auxiliary Military Hospital, a detachment of the British Red Cross Society. It includes photographs, clippings and mementos of Newfoundlanders in Europe and fellow nurses, Janet Ayre, Mary Rendell and Nell Job.

For more information on the collection please visit the finding aid by clicking COLL-322


Register for rooms at Twillingate, 1806 to 1828 (Coll-150)

Series 3 in Coll-150 includes Legal Records from 1799-1910. The Register of rooms at Twillingate, 1806 to 1828 is just one part of the entire collection which has been scanned and placed on this website.
The Peyton Family Collection consists of a variety of records deposited in the Archives and Special Collections division by Ernest Peyton of Gander, Newfoundland, as wll as material concerning the Peyton family which was transferred from other collections in the Archives. Ernest Peyton is a direct descendant of John Peyton, Senior, the progenitor of a family which has played a prominent role in Newfoundland history: John Peyton, Senior (1747-1827), his son, John Peyton, Junior (1793 -1879), and his son, Thomas Peyton, residents of Exploits Island and Twillingate

The material in this collection ranges from 1806 to 1908 and was mainly written by the Peytons mentioned above. There are a number of legal journals, wills, notary work for shipping wrecks, and writs issued for the Supreme Court. There are two voters lists for Twillingate district (1882 and 1889) which may be the only ones extant from before 1900. A valuable item is the 1836 nominal census for Twillingate and Fogo area which is probably the only one of its kind to have survived from before 1900. The register of fishing rooms (1806-1828) is a rare treasure which should be of interest to historians, demographers, geographers, and genealogists. Other material includes memorials of indentures generated through the Deputy Surveyor's Office, Twillingate, from 1851 to 1908; and, navigational aids for sailing from Newfoundland to a variety of places in Spain, Portugal, Italy, the United Kingdom, Canada, the United States of America, and the West Indies.
For more information on the collection please visit the finding aid by clicking Coll-150


Sir Richard Squires and Lady Helena Squires Passports

Sir Richard Squires Collection (Coll-250)

Newfoundland Passports
Sir Richard Squires Passport
Lady Helena Squires Passport

The Dominion of Newfoundland was a British Dominion from 1907 to 1949 (before which the territory had the status of a British colony, self-governing from 1855). The Statute of Westminster of 11 December 1931 provided a mechanism for Newfoundland to achieve independence within the British Commonwealth, but rather than ratify it, after the near bankruptcy in 1933, on 16 February 1934 the Newfoundland Parliament passed an Address to the Crown relinquishing self- government. Responsible government in Newfoundland voluntarily ended and governance of the dominion reverted to direct control from London. Between 1934 and 1949 a six-member Commission of Government (plus a governor) administered Newfoundland, reporting to the Dominions Office in London. Newfoundland remained a de jure dominion until it joined Canada in 1949 to become Canada's tenth province.

Sir Richard Squires served as Prime Minister of Newfoundland from 1919 to 1923 and 1928 to 1932. The passports shown here are part of a larger collection. The passports were issued to Sir Richard Squires and Lady Helena Squires.

Richard Anderson Squires was born in Harbour Grace on January 18, 1880, the son of Alexander Squires and Sydney Anderson. He received his early education there at the Grammar School and at the Methodist Academy, Carbonear, before completing his schooling in St. John's at the Methodist College (later Prince of Wales College). He attended Dalhousie University, Halifax, where he studied law, graduating with an L.L.B. in 1901. He was first elected to the Newfoundland House of Assembly in the election of May 8, 1909. He served as Prime Minister and Colonial Secretary: 1919-1923, and Prime Minister, Minister of Justice and Attorney General: 1928-1932.

The original passports are held in the Sir Richard Squires Collection, Coll-250.

For more information on this collection, click here.


Sir Richard Squires Photo Album - European Tour 1920 (Coll-250)

Sir Richard Squires served as Prime Minister of Newfoundland from 1919 to 1923 and 1928 to 1932.
The photograph album shown here is part of a larger collection. It was donated to the Archives and Special Collections by Squires’s grandson Robert Squires, in March 2014. The photo album depicts Sir Richard Squires tour of Europe in 1920 and includes images of the Beaumont Hamel battleground. His wife, Lady Helena Squires, daughter, Elaine, and Sir William Coaker also accompanied him on the tour.
Richard Anderson Squires was born in Harbour Grace on January 18, 1880, the son of Alexander Squires and Sydney Anderson. He received his early education there at the Grammar School and at the Methodist Academy, Carbonear, before completing his schooling in St. John's at the Methodist College (later Prince of Wales College). He attended Dalhousie University, Halifax, where he studied law, graduating with an L.L.B. in 1901. He was first elected to the Newfoundland House of Assembly in the election of May 8, 1909. He served as Prime Minister and Colonial Secretary: 1919-1923, and Prime Minister, Minister of Justice and Attorney General: 1928-1932.


For more information on the Sir Richard Squires Collection, see finding aid Coll-250 here.


Sir Robert Bond (Coll-237)

The papers of Sir Robert Bond, Prime Minister of Newfoundland from 1900 to 1909, are a mixture of personal and political papers ranging from before his birth to after his death. The papers before his birth relate to Bond's father, John Bond, and include correspondence and a diary. The papers after Bond's death relate to the disposition of his estate and the interpretation of his will. There are papers documenting his education, legal training and practice, financial and business dealings, mineral and timber speculation, various personal interests, and ownership of the Grange, his estate at Whitbourne. There is extensive correspondence with his brother George, a Methodist clergyman, and with other family members.

For more information on the Sir Robert Bond Collection, see finding aid Coll-237 here.


S.J. Carew Photograph Collection (Coll-012)

Stanley James Carew was born on Bell Island, December 31, 1914. In 1941 he joined the Faculty of Memorial University College as Head of the Engineering Department. In 1949, he was named Dean of Engineering. He served as Master of Paton College from 1967 to 1972.

Dr. Carew was involved in the design and layout of the University's new Elizabeth Avenue campus and as such watched the campus being built. His friend and colleague, Dr Hugh Anderson, owned a rather good camera and he accompanied Carew around campus photographing the whole process. Thus there are 1209 photographs in this collection of the building of MUN.

The remainder of the Carew collection consists of textual material, scrapbooks and reel to reel audiotapes. It covers the period 1950 to 1975, and deals with the history of Memorial University.

For more information on the Sir Robert Bond Collection, see finding aid Coll-012 here.


Rossley Kiddie Company (COLL-472)

The Rossley Kiddies (1911-192?) were associated with Marie and Jack Rossley. Jack Rossley managed several theatres including Rossley's East and Rossley's West and later the British Hall known as the "British Theatre-Paramount photo play picture palace" in St. John's NL from 1911-ca. 1917. The troupe performed several times a week at the Rossley theatres and toured throughout Nova Scotia and New Brunswick 1914-1916. The tours were as long as three months with as many as 40 performers (mostly female). The Rossley family relocated to Saint John, New Brunswick ca. 1918 and the Rossley Kiddies operated until, at least, the 1920s under the patronage of W. H. Golding, Keith's Imperial and Governor and Lady Davidson.

For more information on the Sir Robert Bond Collection, see finding aid Coll-472 here.


Terms of Union of Newfoundland with Canada (Coll-075)

In the summer of 1948 a seven-member delegation from Newfoundland traveled to Ottawa to discuss possible terms for the entry of Newfoundland into the Canadian Confederation. After several months of negotiations, agreement was finally reached and "Terms of Union" between Newfoundland and Canada were formally signed on December 11, 1948. Canadian Prime Minister Louis St. Laurent and Defence Minister Brooke Claxton joined six of the seven Newfoundland delegates - Sir Albert Walsh, F. Gordon Bradley, Philip Gruchy, John B. McEvoy, Joseph R. Smallwood and Gordon A. Winter (Chesley Crosbie refused to sign) - in appending their names to the document. Copies of the signed "Terms of Union" were given to each of the signatories. The copy seen here was Smallwood's. There are also photographs from Smallwood's personal collection of the signing ceremony.

For more about The Terms of Union see the J. R. Smallwood finding aid, Coll-075.


Lt. Col. Thomas F. Nangle (Coll-308)

This collection consists of the papers of Lt. Col. Thomas F. Nangle, one of the Padres to the Newfoundland Regiment in France during World War I. He was the Newfoundland government's representative on the Imperial War Graves Commission, and was instrumental in acquiring title to the land from its French owners. He supervised the building of the memorial park to the fallen of the Newfoundland Regiment at Beaumont Hamel, and orchestrated the placement of the five caribou monuments at Beaumont Hamel, Gueudecourt, Monchy and Masnieres in France and at Courtrai in Belgium.

Nangle served as President of Newfoundland's Great War Veterans' Association during 1924, during which time he oversaw the construction of the National War Memorial in St. John's. Included in this fonds are press cuttings, Battalion, Brigade and Divisional documents, reports, and battle orders, as well as photograph albums documenting the activities of the Newfoundland Regiment and the building of the war memorials to the fallen soldiers of that regiment.

Much of the material in this collection was received as part of accessions from Joseph R. Smallwood: Two photograph albums, items 57 and 58, documenting the construction and dedication of the Newfoundland war memorial in 1924, accession number 93-067, acquired June 16, 1993. All other material (except item 55) including six albums of press cuttings, battalion, brigade and divisional documents, reports, battle orders, and two photograph albums, accession numbers 00-090 and 04-070, deposited in 2000 and 2004 respectively. This material was sent to Smallwood by Thomas Nangle on May 27, 1965 (see file 48a in Box 3 for their correspondence on this).

Item 55.0, the bound volume entitled "News Cuttings, F.M. Earl Haig's Canadian Tour, 1925," accession number 06-152, was acquired from Hugh Nangle, Thomas Nangle's son in 2006.

For more information please see the finding aid Coll-308


Trip to the Newfoundland Seal Hunt 1937 by P. Derrick Bowring (Coll-157)

Trip to the Newfoundland Seal Hunt 1937 is a scrapbook compiled by P. Derrick Bowring in 1937 following a trip to the seal hunt, off the Newfoundland northeast coast, aboard the S.S. Imogene, a Bowring Brothers ship. It includes diary entries describing daily life onboard, photographs of sealers, stowaways, and seals. In addition there are original telegrams to Bowring Brothers head office from the front, and newspaper accounts of the voyage. There is also a detailed hand drawn chart of the ship's route. The Captain of the S.S. Imogene was Albert Blackwood.

S.S. Imogene
The S.S Imogene was built at Southbank-on-Tees, England, by Smith's Stock Co. for Bowring Brothers of St. John's. The 715-ton ship, designed and powered to cope with Arctic ice, was the last vessel built specifically for sealing and participated in the seal hunt from 1929 to 1940. Captain Albert Blackwood was master of the Imogene from 1928 to 1936 during which time he averaged over 36,000 seals per year, a record in the industry.

P. Derrick Bowring
Derrick Bowring (1916-2009) was the eldest son of Cyril and Clara Bowring. Born in Liverpool, England, he came out to Newfoundland in 1935 to join Bowring Brothers Ltd. He rose through the management ranks, retiring in 1977 as Chair of the Board of Directors. He married Moira Gordon Baird, of St. John's, and they had four children: David, Paula, Vivian, and Norman.

Bowring Brothers
In 1811 Benjamin Bowring of Exeter, England moved to St. John's, Newfoundland and set up a watch making company. The business soon diversified into importing and selling a wide variety of goods and before long it had expanded into the cod and seal oil trade. In 1834 Bowring returned to England to establish a European end of the export trade operating out of Liverpool, leaving the St. John's branch to be managed by his son.

Charles Tricks Bowring, Benjamin Bowring's eldest son, operated the business, Benjamin Bowring and Son, until 1841 when he returned to England to take over the management of the Liverpool establishment from his father and to establish C. T. Bowring and Company. Two of Benjamin Bowring's other sons, Henry Price and Edward, assumed responsibility for the St. John's firm which by then had become Bowring Brothers. In the 1850s both retired to England leaving the management to their youngest brother, John. The firm continued to be managed by Benjamin Bowring's descendants: Hon. Charles Bowring, Eric Bowring, Edgar Bowring, and Paul Derrick Bowring until 1977.

Bowring Brothers became a thriving business, outfitting fishermen and exporting fishery products. The firm became insurance agents and in the 1870s acquired the contract from the Newfoundland Government to provide a coastal steamer service. The firm also operated a passenger and cargo service between England and St. John's and to points along the eastern seaboard of the United States.

By 1980 Bowring Brothers was one of 160 subsidiaries controlled by C. T. Bowring and Company worldwide. In 1982 C.T. Bowring and Company, by now a public company, was taken over by March and Maclellan, and Bowring Brothers on Water Street, and the chain of shops across Canada and in the United States were sold.

The original scrapbook is located in the Michael Harrington collection, Coll-307.
For more about P. Derrick Bowring see the Bowring Family collection, Coll-157.


Walter Sellars papers (COLL-176)
Calypso Ship Plans


Walter C. Sellars was born in St. John's, Newfoundland, on December 22, 1919, the son of Obe Sellars, a master-tailor originally from Western Bay and Ada Bowden, a native of St. John's. He received his early education at Holloway School and Prince of Wales College, graduating from the latter at age 14. Shortly after graduation, on June 30, 1934 he went to work with the St. John's mercantile firm, the Royal Stores.

With the outbreak of World War II in 1939, Sellars went to Halifax where he joined the RCAF and became part of the British Commonwealth Air Training Plan.

After his discharge from the RCAF in 1945, Sellars attended university and obtained a Bachelor of Arts degree; Bachelor of Divinity from United College, Winnipeg, and a Master of Sacred Theology from Union Theological Seminary, New York. He served as a United Church minister until his retirement in 1979.

His collection includes sermons, as well as reminiscences of growing up in St. John's in the 1920s. In addition he donated drawings and plans for the H.M.S. Calypso.

In 1902 the Newfoundland Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) was formed through the combined efforts of Newfoundland and Great Britain. In September of that year HMS Calypso was commissioned at Devonport for service in Newfoundland as depot and drill ship for the RNR. Designed by Nathaniel Barnaby and launched at Chatham, England, in 1883, she was the last of the steam and sail class corvette. With a protective deck and steel hull cased in teak and oak, Calypso was perhaps the most successful of Victorian era cruising ship built for the Royal Navy.

7.01 H.M.S. Calypso Ship Plans

For more information on Walter Sellars, see his finding aid Coll-176


William Pearce Moss (MF-387)

William Pearce Moss Diary 1854 William Pearce Moss Diary 1875-1876 This collection consists of two diaries written by William Pearce Moss of Twillingate. The first and smaller diary is from April 1, 1854 to December 31, 1854. The second diary covers the period from August 24, 1875 to December 13, 1876. Both diaries are a daily record of the weather, births and deaths, along with accounts of arrivals and departures of shipping vessels at Twillingate. William Pearce Moss was born in 1838 in Twillingate, Newfoundland. We do not know any more about him then what is contained in these two diaries. The first of his diaries was written when he was 16 years old and the second, when he was 37. During these years, Twillingate was the major mercantile centre for Notre Dame Bay, and a fishing centre. It was ofter referred to as " the capital of the north." Fishing and merchant vessels were entering and exiting the harbor daily and Moss records the names of some of these ships in his diaries. Provisions were brought to Twillingate on schooners, many of which were owned by the Slades, an English family running their mercantile business from Poole, England, to Newfoundland. The end of the 1800's marked an end to the boom. Sailing ships made way for steamers. The Bank Crash of 1894 and the Labrador fishing crisis saw an end to Twillingate's prosperity.

For more information on William Pearce Moss, see his finding aid

Sponsor

Memorial University - Archives and Special Collections

Associated Website:

Archives and Special Collections

Select the collections to add or remove from your search
A
B
C
D
E
F
G
H
I
J
K
L
M
N
O
P
Q
R
S
T
U
V
W
X
Y
Z
 
OK